5pm November 23, 2004. 13,272.7m ASL. Laban Rata Guesthouse.
This morning was a morning from hell. Mike has sworn bodily vengeance against the province of Sabah, Malaysia. We have discovered a serious shortage of cash. Maybe we should have brought a colour printer and made our own. Or perhaps, Malaysia was starting to switch to a barter economy.
- Sutera who arrange the lodging has a working Visa machine.
- We need 500RM or 150USD which is all we have.
- Sutera is 50ft from the Sbah Park Office which has no Visa machine.
- Sutera cannot take Visa for Sabah Park (“Different companies, sir, we cannot”)
- Sutera cannot give us a cash advance as the park cannot people cannot collect enough cash for us. Their own cash transfer hasn’t arrived yet.
- We want to climb other peaks and now need special permission from another office… you cannot call them.
- We drive 10 mins to Kundasan ATM — out of order (What is up with this place)
- Mike “loses” his wallet (only a panic for 30 mins we did find it again).